You're starting the keto diet and have no idea what to buy, or you're in the supermarket and don't know where to start?
We can help! Check out our simply laid out keto shopping list below.
Pick and mix from the low carb and keto options below to create some really easy or affordable keto meals.
Some general tips:
- Stick to the "whole food/real food" aisles- they tend to be around the outside of supermarkets. You will generally be fine in the veggie area, and the meat aisle, and the cheese fridges. Steer clear of the dangerous middle zones with processed meals!
- With meats check the label carefully, similar products can have very different sugar and carb amounts. For example meat marinaded in a sugary marinade. If in doubt go for plain meats and add your own marinades.
- Avoid breading on meats. They taste so good but the flour will make it high in carbs and the cravings triggered afterwards can be very real!
Fruit and Veggies
- green or red cabbage
- spring onion (green onion/ scallions)
- green bell pepper
- romaine or iceberg lettuce
- cherry tomatoes
- chicken thighs (most affordable, and tasty than chicken breast and full of good fat)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- minced beef- go for higher fat versions
- minced pork
- gluten free sausages (we like Heck sausages)
- breakfast sausage
- bacon (or turkey rashers)
- steak (if you're feeling fancy), rib eye is delicious and full of tasty fat
Eggs and dairy
- cream cheese
- coconut yoghurt (if avoiding dairy)
- plain, whole-milk yoghurt (Look for brands like Fage which are 5% fat)
- non-dairy milks, like no-sugar-added almond or soya.
- blue cheese
- salted butter
- double cream (heavy cream, this is better than single cream)
- chicken broth or stock pots
- coconut cream
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- soy sauce
- tinned tuna
- vanilla extract (or vanilla powder if you can find it, try to pick one without sugar)
- cocoa powder (look for 100% cocoa powder with no added sugar)
- erythritol or stevia sweeteners
- almond butter or peanut butter (check the labels to find ones without added sugar)
- tahini (sesame seed butter)
Spices and oils
- garlic powder
- ground ginger
- onion powder
- tomato paste
- coconut oil
- ghee/ lard/ tallow
- sesame oil
- sesame seeds
- avocado oil
- cauliflower rice
- frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are best)
- frozen Mediterranean veggies (for easy dinners)
Things to stay away from
- store-bought condiments (often ladened with sugar and dextrose)
- fruit yoghurts (lots of added sugar)
- Sweeteners with added maltodextrin or dextrose
Budget keto recipes:
Now you have a bit of a shopping list going- here is a list of of some budget-friendly keto and low carb recipes so you can quickly build a low carb meal plan for your week.
Keto Egg roll in a bowl
Keto Egg roll in a bowl is one of the favourite keto meals loved by thousands. Egg rolls are an american-chinese takeaway staple, that's nearest to what we would call a spring roll in the UK. Its an ideal dish for making a quick keto dinner. Check the recipe here.
Easy tuna salad
Easy and simple tuna salad - This is keto packed lunch friendly too!
What a way to start the weekend with brunch and keto pancakes. They make the perfect base for topping with keto friendly fruit or even eggs and bacon/turkey rashers.
This keto stuffed cabage dish is easy to prep and a really good way to get your veggies in!
What to check out our range of beautify keto cakes, brownies and biscuits? Then head over to our shop to have a browse.